Tuesday 18 March 2008

X. Jesus is Stripped of His Garments

St. Alphonsus Liguori sometimes uses words and phrases which are too crude for my airy fairy liberal spirituality; he makes me cringe. But, it is hard to imagine the indignity of being stripped in public, particularly when your body is bruised and battered.

Liguori's words are the ones which seem to fit here, even though they are brutal, even though they make me cringe. Perhaps that is the point:

Consider how Jesus was violently stripped of his clothes by his executioners. The inner garments adhered to his lacerated flesh and the soldiers tore them off so roughly that the skin came with them. Have pity for you saviour so cruelly treated and tell him:

My innocent Jesus, by the torment you suffered in being stripped of your garments, help me to strip myself of all attachment for the things on earth that I may place all my love in you who are worthy of my love. I love you Jesus with all my heart; I am sorry for ever having offended you. Never let me offend you again. Grant that I may love you always; and then do with me what you will.

(Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be)

No comments: